DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

This should be under Doctors category

Customer Question

Two weekends ago I was fine and then my middle to upper back starting hurting me and still is now, it feels like the whole upper part of my back is tight and hurts. I sit all day at work and I'm in sales and have under an overwhelming amount of stress from work, I am overweight but have lost weight. I don't excercise and I know I should and I am on Zoloft for bad anxiety and worry and now I'm worried I have cancer in my back or a spine problem but like I said I was fine two weekends ago, I have been taking aleve and last night I went for a 90 minute massage but nothing seems to be working. I am worried I have cancer in my back or there is something wrong with my spine, when I was getting the massage it seems to be ok and didn't hurt too much but after it was hurting again. Can someone help me with this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What question are you asking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went for a massage last night and she said my back felt tight and congested, I took a 30 minute bath in Epson salt this morning, my back still hurts, the message therapist said its from sitting all day and stress so things like Tylenol or aleve probably won't help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I still do not know what your medical question is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this is a muscle thing due to stress?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
More than likely,but as I think we have talked about in the past, you need to see an MD or physical medicine and rehabilitation.
This will provide a structural exam and diagnosis rather than guess work.
And of course, you still need to get the health anxiety addressed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.