Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 70 year old woman, in Phoenix on business from Dalllas,

Customer Question

I am a 70 year old woman, in Phoenix on business from Dalllas, Tx. . After work with my colleague we did some shopping and then stopped at the Capital Grille for dinner We shared a steak and A special roasted corm, had bread and a tomato salad with mozzarella I had two glasses of Riesling wine. I am overweight at 295 lbs. after getting back to the hotel room I felt a stiffness on my sides as I undressed and got ready for bed. When I went to pee, I had a horrible pain on my left side, from under my arm pit to my side. I could hardly get up. It's like a catch in your back but on my side, I've tried to lie down and I'm shaking- I'm scared and it's cold in room. Have turned air up and wrapped coverlet around me. Should I go to the emergency room or might this pass ? At the moment, sitting up, I'm calmer and not shaking.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are feeling bad.
There is a chance that this may pass, at least the immediate severe pain. Pain in the side that is worse with urination is concerning for an infection or a kidney stone. If you are also feeling chilled, that would be a concern for a fever, which would be more likely due to infection.
There is a chance that the Tylenol will help to ease the pain, particularly since you are already feeling calmer and not shaking, and if so, it is not necessary to be seen in the middle of the night in the emergency room. However, the severity of symptoms will guide how quickly you need to be seen. If you have persistent or recurrent severe pain despite the Tylenol, then it would be better to be seen emergently. If the pain eases with Tylenol, but is still mild to moderately severe tomorrow, then it would be better to be seen tomorrow, and since you are not at home, being seen in an Urgent Care Center may be the best option. If you were at home, you could be seen by your regular doctor, but if still having pain tomorrow, it would be difficult to wait until you are home to be seen. It is also possible that the entire symptoms will resolve, such as from passing a kidney stone. If the symptoms resolve completely, or even if there is only some mild soreness, then it would not be necessary to be seen before returning home.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.