Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband died of cardio pulmonary arrest due to respirtory

Customer Question

my husband died of cardio pulmonary arrest due to respirtory arrest. Please explain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry for your loss.
I can explain each of these terms, but there is still a level of underlying cause that is missing.
A cardiopulmonary arrest is when the heart suddenly stops beating. It is called a cardiopulmonary arrest because the body will typically stop breathing when the heart stops beating.
However, in this case, the cause of the cardiopulmonary arrest was identified as a respiratory arrest. A respiratory arrest means that the breathing stops. So in his case, the breathing would have stopped first, which then caused the heart to stop beating.
Saying that someone had a respiratory arrest, though, does not say why the respiratory arrest occurred. It would most often be due to a condition affecting the lungs, but there also could be certain neurologic causes of a respiratory arrest.
In some cases, the underlying cause of the respiratory arrest is not readily apparent, so may not be specified, but just saying that there was a respiratory arrest does not explain why the respiratory arrest occurred.
If I can provide any further explanation, please let me know.