Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I need a cardio dr question but maybe general will

Customer Question

I need a cardio dr for this question but maybe general will be ok. I have managed to lower my LDL and total cholerterol with red rice yeast . Does this also block my body making cholersterol and putting it into my bloodstream? They say the red rice yeast is a statin. I would assume that when the LDL are down, that means my body is not making as much, but is it still absorbing into my arteries?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I am glad you have managed to lower your blood LDL cholesterol levels and your total cholesterol levels
two major factors affect your blood cholesterol levels, your diet (which you can control) and your genetics and normal body functions (which you can't control).
for some people their diet has more influence on their blood cholesterol levels
for other people, their genetics plays a bigger part
your blood tests which checks your LDL and HDL and triglycerides check all of your cholesterol in your blood stream no matter if it comes from diet or genetics.
the best way to prevent cholesterol plaques and atherosclerosis and hardening of your arteries is to eat healthy, exercise regularly, avoid excessive alcohol, no smoking, avoid excessive salt and high blood pressure and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
keep up the good work on your cholesterol
let me know if you have questions.