Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a chronic cough 2-3 months. I have never

Customer Question

I have had a chronic cough for about 2-3 months. I have never smoked and this is unusual. Two days ago, I experienced what felt like heart burn, which I only had when my gall bladder was inflamed and that stopped once it was removed. However, at that time, I experienced acute pancreatitis. I felt like the heart burn might have been a return of the pancreatitis, but it was accompanied by a cold sweat over my entire body, vomiting and my blood pressure was 165/106. I took the blood pressure because I was not sure I wasn't having a heart attack. I am a 65 year old female. Since the chest pain, I've been running a temp of around 101. Is this the flu, pancreatitis, or something else?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The acute symptoms is more likely to be infectious, as the vast majority of people with a temperature of 101 have an infection as the cause. If the fever has not been present for the 2-3 months that the cough has been present, it is more likely that there is another condition that caused the cough and now has developed a fever.
A cough that has lasted 2-3 months can commonly be due to allergies, but with the heartburn, there also should be consideration of whether the cough is due to acid reflux, as acid reflux can also irritate the throat and airways and cause chronic cough.
Regardless of whether the cough is due to allergies or acid reflux, the irritation of the airways could make it easier for germs to set up an infection, such as a bronchitis. In a non-smoker, the vast majority of bronchitis episodes are due to a viral infection, although there are some atypical bacteria that also can cause a bronchitis. It is also possible that there could be a coincidental infection, such as a flu or upper respiratory infection, such as a cold, but there would usually be other symptoms present.
At this point, if you are feeling acutely ill, particularly if you have any shortness of breath, then it would be better to be seen. But otherwise, it would be OK to give it a few days to see if the fever and sweats resolve. For the chronic cough, you can try an over the counter antihistamine, which can help if it is due to allergies, or a medicine to suppress stomach acid, which may help if it is due to acid reflux. There are many antihistamines, such as loratidine and cetirizine, and medicines to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine and omeprazole.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.