Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What are some underlying conditions that cause cobblestone

Customer Question

What are some underlying conditions that cause cobblestone throat? I developed this about three years ago. Went to the doctor and he told me it was cobblestone throat. He had no solution for this, said its just what some people have. I need a solution to this problem, my throat should be healthy. I have to wear a night guard at night, could that be causing my throat to dry out? I don't believe I have acid reflux, no symptoms of that at all. Its not like a sore throat, I don't seem to have any real problems with allergies. I am puzzled by this problem.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
You have mentioned the most common causes of a cobblestone throat that is chronically a problem, which is allergies or acid reflux, even if there are no other symptoms present. A cobblestone appearance also can occur with certain infections, but these infections usually would not persist for three years. The only infection that might persist for three years would be a chronic sinus infection that could be irritating the throat by post-nasal drip. I have seen it most often with allergies, but it is considered a minor symptom, so many doctors would not treat it if this is the only symptom present, as your doctor has done.
If you desire to try something for relief of the symptom, the first step would be a trial of an over the counter antihistamine, such as loratidine or cetirizine. If that is not effective, a steroid nasal spray, such as Nasacort, would also be reasonable to try.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.