Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Question doc

Customer Question

Question doc
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tenderness in my upper right side of my neck on my throat side. Hurts when you press it with a little pressure. Right under my jaw few inches from my chin to the right . Strange I have gotten it before. Have felt like im getting run down . What could that be ?
The most common cause would be a viral infection, which can cause throat pain and tenderness either by direct involvement of the throat or by secondary enlargement of the lymph nodes.
It is also possible to get an infection of the salivary glands, but that is far less common than a viral infection.
It is reasonable to treat it with symptomatic relief, such as with Tylenol, and see of the symptoms resolve spontaneously, as would be expected with a viral infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay ya what I thought but nothing really bad ? When you say viral kinda scares me
A viral infection will occur dozens of times during your life time. It is nothing to be scared of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay good. I'm a healthy person never have had problems just had my curiosity behind it
Very good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a canker sore any relation ? Showed my dentist said it was fine .
A canker sore can happen at times of physical stress, such as during a viral infection. It is also possible that a canker sore can allow a germ into the body that can cause swelling of a lymph node.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that makes sense then. No signs of anything else that's all
That is OK.