Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I take symbicort 160/4.5 bid and spiriva respimat 2 puffs ad.

Customer Question

I take symbicort 160/4.5 bid and spiriva respimat 2 puffs ad. Would adding daliresp help. Experiencing more shortness of breath with exercise and ADLs I have stage Iii ex in dec 2014. Am 64 was very active up to two years ago have pulm me. Wanted your opinion before I asked him. And are stem cell trials working at all??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
it sounds like you have bad COPD
yes, adding Daliresp or roflumilast could help your COPD
stem cell therapy for lung COPD are not ready yet.
for patients who have severe lung COPD, lung transplantation of the heart and lungs can sometimes be done, but this is very very rare and difficult to get a match for both lungs and heart for a patient who has severe COPD.
do you have a history of smoking?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I have a different opinion.Daliresp is not shon to improve the outcomes in COPD.However, Daliresp can be added to your current regimen to provide some relief with the symptoms.A better medication will be Theophylline in advanced stage COPD.Theophylline is taken orally and has been shown to be more beneficial compared to daliresp.So you should discuss the theophyllin option with your doctor.The stem cell therapy is very promising but not yet approved for routine use yet.Another good option will be lung volume reduction surgery nowadays can be performed via bronchoscopy.This improves the breathing effort in COPD with emphysema.Portable oxygen therapy has been shown to improve outcomes.So that should be considered also if your O2 sat is low. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****