DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Dr. I have basically become a recluse in my 30s because

Customer Question

Hello, Dr. I have basically become a recluse in my 30s because I am afraid of people and even just going across the street to Walmart is overwhelming...I start sweating, feeling like I'm going to die, sometimes it happens so suddenly and in terrible situations like when I'm trying to drive (can't breathe, clench the wheel, feel like a passing truck is going to hit me, etc.). I had a doctor in my hometown that tried every antidepressant in the book, and I've spent more $ than I care to imagine on meds that made me feel worse. Eventually, he put me on alprazolam which was the only medication that worked in a timely manner and I was on the same dosage (1mg) for years and functioning well. Later when I got a great job offer in FL, I made the choice to move and was forced to change doctors. I'm in a small town and it seems like every doctor here is against prescribing that particular medication...apparently it has a bad reputation for abuse. But I've never taken more than prescribed and I believe that medicine allowed me to actually function in society. Now, I'm going to lose my job, can't date, am generally terrified to leave the house, and this is no way to live...especially being so young. Is there ANY way to get this prescription online. At this point, I don't even trust that these doctors care at all. Instead of listening to me, they just keep attempting to prescribe medication that I've already tried and I'm at my wits end. I am educated, athletic (when I feel like myself), and usually a contributing member of society. Now I can barely function and it seems like nobody hears me. What can I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Did you bring copies of your medical records showing the failure of the various antidepressants in the past?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The reasons that these doctors prefer to not use alprazolam is because the current recommendations for the use of alprazolam is that the use should be limited to short duration only. Some doctors may consider long-term use, but usually only after all other options have been tried and failed.

Also, in some jurisdictions, the regulatory authorities have been much more stringent on the oversight of the use of the drug, so that doctors within that jurisdiction are more hesitant to use the drug.

In this situation, doctors will be more likely to be persuaded by medical records documentation of previous efforts to treat the condition without the alprazolam. It is also true that a specialist in the field would be more willing to consider an exception to the usual recommendations, so if you have not seen a Psychiatrist, that also should be considered.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello'
Thanks for requesting me.
To answer your question specifically, there is no legal way [outside of comitting a felony] to get this medication on line without a prescription.
Aprazolam and drugs like it have been associated with cognitive dysfunction and alzheimer's disease with long term use.
While a psychiatrist might continue it for you, it still will have these risks.
You have not mentioned having any actual therapy for this problem...have you?
Can you please list exactly what meds you have tried?
Thanks.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.