Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can't lie down to sleep . feeling of smothering ,, fever

Customer Question

can't lie down to sleep . feeling of smothering ,SOB, fever , chills 3 months followed by rupture of ' something ' in chest followed by intense itching and massive joint pain next day .Long term pain in jaw resolved after dental surgeon removes root of tooth entombed by dentist...infection treated with Augmentin,concurrent constipation resolved with antibiotic returns after antibiotics stopped. Now epic SOB with positional breathing difficulty . Symptoms of SOB vanished for 3 days after 'rupture' of suspected abcess in chest .seeing cardiologist added beta blocker to diovan ...small improvement
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How high is the fever?
Do you have the results of a recent chest x-ray?
Has any other evaluation been done?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
There are several considerations with these symptoms.
It is not common for an abscess to present with shortness of breath when lying down. An abscess is possible, but not very likely.
The most common cause of shortness of breath when lying down is from fluid accumulation in the chest, usually from congestive heart failure. However, fluid collection, by itself, typically would not cause a fever. But if there is fluid accumulation for any reason, then a chest x-ray will usually detect the fluid.
If there is drainage in the chest that is worse in certain positions that also can lead to infections, it is more common that it is from bronchiectasis, rather than an abscess. Bronchiectasis is when certain airways are damaged and larger than normal and can then collect mucus and/or pus. Again, a chest x-ray would be the first test to be done.
If a plain chest x-ray is not sufficient to identify the cause, then the next test would usually be a CT scan of the chest, which would detect the few abscesses that might present with these symptoms, and would be more sensitive than a chest x-ray for bronchiectasis.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.