Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have been dealing with pain in upper stomach . Sometimes

Customer Question

Have been dealing with pain in upper stomach for months. Sometimes sharp, sometimes dull. The pain is by ribs and can be on either or both sides. Also upper middle by ribs, is worse when I lay on my stomach. Have been to Er, several Doctors and 2 gastro's. Most recently had EDG where polip was removed and diagnosed with gastritis. She then had Ct with contrast to check Aorta, came back fine. Er in November did CT w/contrast, blood work and everything came back fine as well. Also had CT w/contrast of heart. I am losing weight and am down to 90 lbs. Most Drs. telling me stress. I can't believe stress is the problem. Just don't know which way to turn or what to do. I am convinced it is my pancreas, but what good would another trip to the ER do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Has there been any evaluation of blood tests of the pancreas?
Do you know the pathology report of the polyp?
Are you having any diarrhea or constipation?
Have you had any tests done of the stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have had blood test of pancreas and they came back normal. The polyp and other biopsies were negative. I have diarrhea or constipation, but not all day long. Often when i go, I get burning in stomach. One of the gastros did a stool check in his office for blood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, this is not constant. It stops for a period of time, then returns minutes later. Sometimes longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?
It is good that the pathology of the polyp is benign.
There are two types of pancreatic problems. Oain from a pancreatic problem is usually due to inflammation of the pancreas, called pancreatitis. However, if the blood tests of the pancreas are normal and the imaging of the pancreas on the CT scan is normal, then there would be no evidence of inflammation of the pancreas.
Another type of pancreatic problem would be if the pancreas is not making a good amount of digestive enzymes. This would most often cause difficulty with digestion and diarrhea, and over time, can cause weight loss. The tests that would first suggest that this is a problem are tests of the stool, but it needs to be more than checking the stool for blood. It would be tests of the stool for fecal fat and reducing substances.
You have apparently had other tests, but these tests of the stool would be the only remaining tests of the pancreas that have not yet been done.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. I am still at a loss as to what could be causing this pain. I suffer from acute anxiety and depression, so Drs. want to blame that on everything. Do you see this issue as an emergency? All have tried to reassure me it's not my pancreas, but I am in constant pain, which of course causes my stress level to raise.
It is possible to have pain related to cramping of the gut that would not be detected by any of the tests that you describe. Anxiety also can exacerbate pain related to cramping of the gut.