Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had glandular fever months. I rested two weeks initially and then we

Customer Question

I have had glandular fever for 5 months. I rested for only two weeks initially and then went on spring break. I then battled it for the next 3 months trying to live as I normally would. I have now been resting for about a month since finishing my final semester of college, with two late nights out drinking as set backs in this month (every time I drink I wake up with my glands throbbing). Have now been getting 10 hours of sleep for about a week and feel good but my glands are still up (have not gone down since I first contracted the virus). I am meant to be traveling Europe in two weeks time. Is there any chance I will be 100% recovered if I continue to get adequate sleep? If I do feel better and go and start partying will I just get worse again/risk prolonging the virus or developing chronic fatigue? Or can I get away with it? I am just very worried because I still have it when I gave it to my brother 3 months ago and he is already better (he rested upon initial contraction...).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Have you had any evaluation since the original diagnosis?
I had asked for some further information but have not heard back.
I ask about whether there has been any further evaluation because one of the concerns when someone with glandular fever is having persistent symptoms is whether any complication of the infection has developed. There are a variety of complications that can occur, either directly from the infection, such as inflammation of the liver, or a secondary infection.
If no complications are present and the only issue is dealing with the glandular fever. In that situation, it would be unlikely that it would resolve in 2 weeks, even if you rest well for the next two weeks. As you do start feeling better, then it would be OK to gradually increase your activity level as tolerated. As long as you do this gradually, it would be unlikely to relapse.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.