Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I always need to urinate and when i do nothing comes out and

Customer Question

i always need to urinate and when i do nothing comes out and i feel i need to have a bowel movement when i do. basically, i poop when i try to pee
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long has this been bothering you?
What medicine did you take when it happened previously?
How well did that medicine work?
How long did the effect last?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
When a man has a sensation of a need to urinate but no volume of urine, this is most often due to prostate disease. When the symptom is of short duration, it would be most likely due to an infection of the prostate. However, if the symptom is of longer duration, it is most often due to benign enlargement of the prostate, although a chronic infection is also possible.
Swelling or enlargement of the prostate can also place pressure on the anorectal canal, so that there is an urge to defecate.
It is also possible that it could be a problem that is secondarily affecting urination and defecation, such as a spine problem that is affecting the nerves to the pelvis.
I asked about the medicine because if you were previously prescribed an antibiotic and it was helpful, that would support that the problem was an infection, which would also mean that it is more likely that this is an infection.
If it is an infection, then a course of antibiotics would be appropriate. If it is benign enlargement of the prostate, then the usual next step would be medicines that improve flow through the prostate, such as Flomax.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.