Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am a 70 y o diabetic. I am on metformin, prozac, statin and

Customer Question

I am a 70 y o diabetic. I am on metformin, prozac, statin and bisoprolol. I do not have high cholesterol, however I take the medication to help with my diabetes. Sometimes, when I go to sleep I can feel my temple pulsating against my pillow when
I am sleeping on the side of my face and my head is turned forward (chin towards my chest). The pulsation stops when I straighten my head. I don't feel this pulsation while I am awake during the day time. I am an anxious person and I always encounter sleep problems. I don't have any pain or headaches or vision disturbance.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The pulsations that you feel against your pillow is something that can happen normally as well.
Just to give you an example, I myself have this problem very commonly.
So this does not indicate any disease process.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I would like to know what is the cause for this and what happens to the body while it is happening? Is my blood pressure increasing or my heart rate? Also, why does the symptom disappear when I straighten my head from a forward bent position. thank you
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There is an artery that passes under the skin of the head on the temple area that is called as temporal artery.
When you sleep on the side and press this artery you feel or hear the pulsations and as soon as you relieve pressure on this artery by changing your position you do not hear or feel the pulsations.
This can happen normally in people, more so in people with high blood pressure.
This particular problem is not something to worry about at all. However, on your next doctor's visit you can discuss this problem with him just to be sure and put your mind to ease.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the ratings below as that is the only way I am credited here.
Kind regards