Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 25 year old female .. 95-100lbs and my blood pressure

Customer Question

I'm a 25 year old female .. 95-100lbs and my blood pressure is 149/109. What does this mean? Should I be concerned.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is this blood pressure an isolated reading?
Or is your blood pressure consistently running at this level on multiple readings over several days?
Are you having any symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually feel a numb feeling if that makes sense? I know it's been pretty constant considering I feel this way often. I took my BP about 30 min. Ago
You cannot judge your blood pressure based upon how you feel. There needs to be a direct measurement of the blood pressure.
We do not consider a person to have high blood pressure (hypertension) unless the blood pressure is found to be >140/90 on three different days. If someone usually has blood pressure that is normal and has an increase to 149/109 on a single day, that is usually due to physical or emotional stress. However, if the blood pressure is found to be consistently >140/90 on multiple occasions, then the individual would be diagnosed with hypertension.
If the blood pressure is only transiently elevated because of physical or emotional stress, that is not concerning, but if the blood pressure is consistently elevated, then there is concern, because elevated blood pressure can increase the risk for various medical conditions, including heart disease, stroke, or kidney disease.
Most people with high blood pressure do not have an identifiable reason for the high blood pressure, so is considered the primary problem. In a small percentage of people, though, the elevated blood pressure is due to a different medical condition, such as kidney disease or certain hormonal conditions, such as high levels of adrenal hormones or adrenalin. In these people, the high blood pressure is considered a secondary problem. Although secondary hypertension is in only a small percentage of hypertensives the likelihood is greater in someone in their 20s that has high blood pressure.
So, a blood pressure of 149/109 is elevated and the blood pressure should be checked on multiple days. If the blood pressure is consistently elevated, then there should be an evaluation for conditions that can raise the blood pressure, which can be done by your primary care physician. If no other condition can be identified, then the elevated blood pressure would be considered the primary problem and would be treated with medicines to lower the blood pressure.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.