Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Love - can I ask how long Giardia takes to resolve when

Customer Question

Dr Love - can I ask how long Giardia takes to resolve when you take antibiotics? I have been taking Metronazidole for nearly a week and while I feel a lot better I am sitll getting gurgling in my tummy and the occasional cramp. I have read various reports
which say it can linger or at least the symptoms can for some time. I also have had itch red eyes (the red bit in the corner rather than the eye ball). Not sure if this is connected?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I would like to help
would you like my assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking Dr Love if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you please pass this on to him thanks.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Have you noticed whether these symptoms are exacerbated by any food intake, such as milk or other dairy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good question - i know you can get lactose intolerance from giardiasis. It is possible. I would need to monitor it more closely. IF i have got a lactose intolerance what should i cut out immediately? by the way I 100% do have giardia so this is not an HIV phobia issue! Just wanted to reinforce this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have one more day of the antibiotics left to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bit of my eye which is itchy is the conjunctiva?
Yes, it would be appropriate to monitor whether any diet component increases symptoms.
It is common for there to be some mild symptoms that only slowly improve after completion of antibiotics, sometimes taking a week or two after the antibiotics to resolve completely.
However, there are several conditions that can occur as a complication of a Giardia infection that can also cause continued symptoms, even if the Giardia has been successfully eradicated. Lactose intolerance is the most common, but there are some other intolerances that can also develop, such as fructose intolerance.
It is also true, though, that no antibiotic will work 100% of the time, so continued symptoms would warrant rechecking whether the Giardia has been eliminated. If the symptoms persist for more than a week or two after completion of the antibiotic.
If the Giardia is still present, then there also should be consideration of whether the Giardia was re-introduced into the system. So members of the family or other close contacts should also be checked for the presence of Giardia.
The eye symptom is unrelated to the Giardia infection. Itchy red eyes would most often be due to allergies.
At this point, it would be appropriate to monitor for food intolerances, but otherwise, it is fine to give it a week or two to see if the symptoms resolve completely before checking for persistence of the Giardia.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what a superb and clear answer. I have a feeling my wife has it too...and my boys (8 and 6) did have some very smelly farts over the weekend. Are you basically saying that i can clear it myself and then re-get it? On day 3 of the antibiotics i felt great but since day 5 i feel like i have gone backwards....in terms of lactose/fructose what's the main things to avoid?i will finish the dose and then monitorcan i ask the most common route for infection in the UK/USA? I do have a colleague who went to India recently but not sure if that's most likely vs kids or if i got it at heathrow at a restaurant. I absolutely know the day it started which was the day I arrived in spain on may 21st.
Yes, you can clear it yourself and get it again, but there would need to be a source. The source could be the same contaminated water or food that caused the original infection or an infected family member may be the source.
The most common source of infection in the US is contaminated ground water systems. Certainly, people traveling from other countries are also a source, but it is more common to have contaminated ground water systems as a source.
Lactose is in milk and dairy products. Fructose is in honey and any product sweetened with honey or high fructose corn syrup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's very helpful.i suppose i could have got it from the plane's water system en route to spain or even the villa i stayed in while brushing my teeth etc..i will monitor my diet for a week and report back
Very good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
final question - i suppose it is possible to get another enteric infection alongside giardia which may not be being killed off by the current antibiotics?
Absolutely. Although the statistical likelihood of getting two different infections close to each other is low, it would need to be considered if there are persistent symptoms and no Giardia is detected.