Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am a 36 year old female with no family history of heart disease

Customer Question

I am a 36 year old female with no family history of heart disease on either side of my family. Had a grandfather pass away at 80 from cardiac arrest. Not sure of cause. He was being treated for a leaky valve but otherwise heart was good. I do not smoke, I am 5'6 about 155 pounds. I have recently (march 2015) had blood work, and echocardiogram, ekg, and holter monitor. Blood work was excellent cholesterol and trigs were normal, ekg was normal, holter picked up PACs (which is why I had tests done, I have battled PACs and runs of PACs since 2009 had same tests done in 09 and results were the same) Echo showed structurally normal heart just a minimal leak in a valve (same thing was shown in 09) My blood pressure runs low. Usually 110/65 to 75 So my concern is this.. I have exercised induced pain that starts in my chest and goes upward through my neck area and along the chin line on the left side. It doesn't feel crushing, more of a throbbing pulsating type pain with some piercing. It usually happens about 30 minutes into a work out when I am getting really winded. It subsides as soon as stop and begin to rest, it goes away immediately. From what I have read this sounds like stable angina. Are there other causes for this type of angina other than blockage and if so what are they? Could it be my heart is in a dangerous rhythm. when it happens and I check my pulse, my pulse feels elevated of course from exercising but nothing abnormal feeling? Or maybe could it be the leaky valve causing the pain and if so how dangerous is that? Thank you so much!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
You have not had definitive testing.
Although unlikely, a stress test will rule out stable angina.
That is your next step.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
You can not rely entirely on your other testing.
Nor even a stress test, but you can be more assured with it.
OK, so that is an initial answer….