Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am currently in Mexico City. I have been here days.

Customer Question

I am currently in Mexico City. I have been here for 9 days. This morning I woke up with bad nausea, no appetite, fatigue, anxiety, and stomach upset. I have been careful what I eat, etc. I can't even eat soup. I always have a good appetite. Any ideas what
this could be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Do you have any other symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, or fever? What is the color of your urine now?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will have to see next time I pee. No fever, some soft stools not so watery, and when I drink soup the nausea increases. This all started this morning around 11 AM. I went to bed at 3 AM and was feeling OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a Nexium and chewed a few Gaviscons since I have GERD. It doesn't help. I did bring some Pepto Bismol tablets but haven't tried it yet. No sure if that's a good idea.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Are you having abdominal pain? If yes, where and intensity of the pain? Are you taking any medications? Do you suffer from any medical condition? How many stools did you have today? Is there a change in the consistency?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More like mild to moderate stomach upset. Upper stomach. Yes I take Cozaar, Simvastin, Nexium, and Cialis. I have sleep apnea, GERD, and high blood pressure. And high Cholesterol. I went to the bathroom once today and it was a little bit watery, not much. My main complaint is nausea and complete loss of appetite (all of a sudden). Of course, i have been feeling anxious about it too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can drink fluids fine. I am drinking some Gatorade now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a blood pressure machine at its 132/83 if that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My oxygen is around 93. I did notice it drops down to 85 at night when I wake up from sleep. Probably because of the altitude.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
With these symptoms I would suggest going to the emergency and to have investigations done to rule out appendicitis which can present with loss of appetite, as well as upper abdominal pain and nausea.
However the other possibility is gastroenteritis which is usually viral and can cause nausea, diarrhea, mild fever, malaise, hyperactive bowel sounds, abdominal pain and tenderness, and possible dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
Viral infections of the gastrointestinal tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections can be present up to a week. Treatment is to maintain hydration by drinking plenty of fluids.
Also medications such as antiobiotics, and antiemetics may be rarely required and your doctor can prescribe them.
Take care.