Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My family(me, my husband, and kids 4,7,9) and I took our pop

Customer Question

My family(me, my husband, and kids 4,7,9) and I took our pop up camper camping yesterday and when we opened it we found a deer mouse nest and 9 mice. My husband took a camping pole and swept them into the woods, injuring a few and the nest fell to the ground. I do believe my children went in as we were setting up and before neither my husband or I knew about the nest. There were droppings everywhere and we even found a few more mice. I even shook the canvas with droppings on it before I knew about the nest. Should I be worried about hantavirus? I am kind of obsessing and very worried!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Hanta virus incidence in general is low if there is no local reports this year.
And it requires prolonged exposure to the droppings to pose any major risk for viral transmission.
That is very unlikely here.
So the risk is very low not worrisome.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****