Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have chronic pain. Fibromyalgia....I have been on disability

Customer Question

I have chronic pain. Fibromyalgia....I have been on disability for six months and have stayed away from pain meds (except for aleive) since 2010. I never had an issue with addiction and only took it on really bad days so I could get through a hard workday. My pain has gotten worse and I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my hands. I asked my doctor if she could prescribe me 10 pills a month.....she looked at me like I was an addict. I don't understand if I am in this much pain....days I can't hardly get out of bed....why would 10 pain pills be such a big deal? My previous doctor had me taking four a day and told me I needed to take as prescribed. I thought he was insane and quit seeing him, Can you give me advice to somehow prove to someone how much pain I am in. I have never abused in the past and I never felt a high. They just made the pain low key....it wasn't as sharp and I had an easer time getting around.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Although you asked for advice to somehow prove to someone how much pain I am in, that is usually not the problem in this situation. Doctors are fully aware of the pain associated with fibromyalgia.
The primary issue in this situation is the use of opiates in the treatment of fibromyalgia. The current guideline for treatment of fibromyalgia recommends that opiates be avoided because of evidence that they tend to worsen pain perception over time. There are obviously some doctors that are willing to accept this risk and use opiates, as did your previous doctor, but there are certain doctors that are never willing to use opiates for fibromyalgia.
It sounds like your current doctor is one that is not willing to use opiates, and if so, there is no amount of proving how much pain you are in that will change that approach.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.