Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Since late yesterday afternoon I have had what feels like severe

Customer Question

since late yesterday afternoon I have had what feels like severe waves of stomach cramps in the middle to lower part of my abdomen. I feel bloated and my stomach gurgles here and there. I did not exactly eat well yesterday but I don't recall a time pain like this stayed the same for such a long period of time. I feel ok one minute and the next it's back to pain. My stomach feels extremely full. Almost like what i ate yesterday is just sitting there .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of stomach cramps in the mid to lower abdomen of short duration is a viral infection. The severity of pain from a viral infection can vary significantly, from mild to severe. With more severe pain, there also should be consideration of other infections, such as appendicitis or diverticulitis, but there would usually be other symptoms present, such as nausea or vomiting.

Generally speaking, severe abdominal pain is a reason to be seen by a doctor, but if you can get some quick relief by home interventions, that would be OK. It may help to take an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, or a medicine for gas, such as simethicone. It also would be fine to take acetaminophen for the pain along with these other medicines.

If these interventions help to ease the severity of symptoms, and then the symptoms resolve over the next day or two, then no further evaluation or care is necessary. But if these symptoms continue to be severe, it would be appropriate to see a doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.