Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Vascular (along with 3 pages

Customer Question

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Vascular (along with 3 pages of other diseases including P.O.T.S.). I am currently on hospice. My question is: I cannot seem to eat or take anything orally without having a negative effect on my entire electrolyte system. I do have a power port. What would be the best way for me to live comfortably? The only theory they can come up is that because of the EDS-Vascular whenever something hits my stomach it causes blood vessels to pop and blood to settle at the base of my stomach. This last for about 2 months (at the most) and then I end up throwing up everything, including all the accumulated blood at the base of my stomach (this started 5 yrs. ago, but the last 2 yrs. I have been in ICU constantly). The last time it took out over 13 inches of esophogial tissue. My doctors are not addressing the bleeding stomach, the swelling, non-absorption, chronic pancreatitis, anything that had to do with the stomach and intestine issues. I know there is not cure, I am just looking for comfort. Would a band be a option, not for weight, but for the bleeding? Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you mean that you vomit every time that you eat?
Is there blood in the vomit each time?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
I ask for clarification about the frequency of vomiting because vomiting that is occurring this frequently can cause electrolyte abnormalities because of loss of acid and then potassium from the body. If so, it would be appropriate to use anti-nausea medicines in addition to whatever medicines are being used for the bleeding.
A gastric banding procedure is not typically done for frequent vomiting of blood. In fact, doctors will typically try to avoid surgery for GI manifestations of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, if possible. If recurrent GI bleeding occurs despite medicines, then surgery may be unavoidable, but the traditional surgery for GI bleeding would be the surgeries to consider.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.