Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have GERD (since I was a kid) and past two weeks I have had a bit of difficul

Customer Question

Hi-I have GERD (since I was a kid) and for the past two weeks I have had a bit of difficulty swallowing and a sore that. This happened once several years ago ad after Prevacid, it went back to normal within about two months. I have been taking OTC Nexium for a couple of weeks, and I am wondering how long it usually takes to heal. I am eating bland food-mostly fluids, and a lot of water. There are no signs of white patches in my throat-but could this be candida as well? I was on antibiotics in March-again. I did not have thrush the last time-just wondering. I am female, perimenopausal-and in fairly good health overall. I feel that I should have stayed on GERD medication to avoid this. More than anything, I need an idea when I should see some results-and be able to swallow a bit better? I knowit's all part of it according to my previous physician, but is there anything I can do to speed up the healing? Oh and what can I do about the sore throat? Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Sore throat can be caused by the viral infection commonly.
That can persist for several days sometimes.
Candida is unlikely since you do not see anything abnormal.
Another possibility can be the streptococcal infection.
That should be checked with throat swab.
GERD can also cause chronic sore throat.
Nexium may take 4 to 6 weeks to achieve better control.
Also Sucralfate can be added for its coating and soothing effect.
Lidocaine swish also helps with its numbing effect but requires prescription.
You can try otc benzpnatate tablets which has numbing effect and helps with sore throat.
Given that 2 weeks passed, it is time for you to see your doctor to check up the above.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****