How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 28264
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 29 year old female. I exercise 3 times a week

Customer Question

I am a 29 year old female. I exercise 3 times a week rigorously for 1 hour, and maintain a 1450-1500 calorie diet. Only one day a week, will I allow myself one treat, ranging anywhere from 500-900 calories. My question is, I am 5'2 and the scale will not budge from 153 at best. The only time I can go below 150 would be to eat under 1000 calories. Any advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
you need to see a doctor to get blood testing to check your thyroid hormone levels.
low thyroid hormone levels can make it hard to impossible to loose weight
you also need blood testing to check for polycystic ovarian syndrome where your ovaries can be producing androgens. this can cause weight gain as well.
you also might need to work with a trainer to do more weight training to build muscles. muscles can often burn more calories than fat. so if you are doing more cardio work, you might need to change your workouts to do more weight training.
do see your doctor about getting blood tests to check your thyroid hormone levels and check for polycystic ovarian syndrome
let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,A different opinion.Yes You may have thyroid problem, but in most cases, it is just the stubborn adipose tissue which does not burn easily.To increase fat burning, you need to consider prescription medications like:1. Phentermine2. Bupropion3. Topiramate5. Larcaserine.All these are newer medications and can be prescribed by a weight management specialist after initial clinical evaluation.You will lose weight faster with diet and exercise.There are some natural supplements like:1. Green coffee bean extract2. CordicepsThemmay show some benefit in weight loss although not definitely proven. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****