Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I think my daughter was given the gardasil shot number 3 twice.

Customer Question

I think my daughter was given the gardasil shot number 3 twice. She now (since having shot3 I believe 2times) has been hurting extremely bad when she has her period to the point of passing out. Her knees hurt her and she is very tired. Any suggestions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you mean that she received the first and second shots on schedule and then received two doses of the third shot close to each other?
What was the dates of each shot?
When did these symptoms develop?
What evaluation has been done for the pain with her periods and knee pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she had the two shots as scheduled. Then she went and had the third shot as scheduled. I don't remember exactly how far apart the shots were but we were convinced that because she was sick before that the Dr hadn't given her the shot previously but in my heart I felt that they had. It was the last week possible that the 3rd shot could be given without starting the series of shots over according to the PA. The symptoms gradually became worse to the point of passing out 13 times in one year her junior year high school. She will b a sophomore in college this upcoming year. She almost passed out last month because of her pain. She is hurting badly tonight. I have had her to four different hospitals they have ran every test imaginable. She goes to her Gynecologist again tues and she will change her birth control again to try to prevent her from having her period. Nothing has been done for her knee pain wasn't sure if it was related. She stays tired and takes mood enhancers well borne I think it's called.
When you say that they did every test imaginable, do you know whether they did any tests to look for systemic inflammatory or autoimmune conditions?
Have they done a sed rate (also called an ESR) or a C-reactive protein?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I honestly don't know. They checked for cysts in ovary. Had her drink something to assure it wasn't coming from her stomach, cat scan, MRI, and ultra sound. The pain is when she has her period?
Thank you for the additional information.
It sounds like she has had a thorough evaluation of the female genital tract, but the next issue to consider would be for systemic inflammatory or autoimmune disorders, particularly since she is also having knee pain and tiredness.
In the studies that looked at the potential side effects of Gardasil, there was extensive evaluation of the percentage of people that developed symptoms or signs suggestive of systemic autoimmune disorders and the risk was not significantly different than the control group, with only very slightly more patients developing such problems in the treatment group.
In the reports concerning individuals that have accidentally received double doses of Gardasil, the observed side effects are similar to the observed side effects seen with the routine schedule of administration. However, there are no studies done on a large enough population of such people to say whether the incidence is significantly greater in the people that receives the double dose compared to the people that received the standard dose regimen. So, it is possible that the incidence of systemic autoimmune disorder would be significantly higher in this group - we just do not have sufficient data to determine the risk.
So, the next step that would be reasonable would be consultation with a specialist in autoimmune diseases, which would be a Rheumatologist.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.