Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Dr Basu, Last night I "slept" with a long time friend of

Customer Question

Hi Dr Basu, Last night I "slept" with a long time friend of mine. We played around a bit and I thrusted inside of her about 4-8 times. I am extremely worried about contracting HIV or another STD since we didn't use a condom. What would you say my risk
of this is and should I go get tested immediately? Any input is appreciated, thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Basu is currently offline.
Would you like me to help you out?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes your help would be appreciated as well
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting my advice.
With what you are describing the risk is very low.
Vaginal sex is a low risk exposure.
If she is a long-time friend of yours she would be negative for HIV as far as I am concerned.
The risk of getting HIV is less than 1% as far as I am concerned.
You can get tested at around six to eight weeks after exposure to put your mind to rest.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply doctor I really appreciate it.So since I only had vaginal sex with her very briefly (for under 20 seconds total) the risk for HIV would be very low, correct?How about for a disease like herpes, would I be at high risk for that? It's worth mentioning that I have oral HSV-1 that I've heard cuts your risk of developing genital HSV-2 if exposed to it
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If your partner did not have any active outbreak at the time you had sex with her the chances are very less i.e. less than 1%.
HSV 1 does slightly reduce the risk of getting HSV 2 but does not eliminate the risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply doctor. Just so we're clear, you think that the risk of contracting HIV from this activity is less than 1% even if she was HIV positive? I don't know her status, Or when the last time she was tested was, im just playing worst case scenario
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes even if she is positive the risk is low i.e. less than 1%.
I would not worry too much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doctor, just one more question.I thought that unprotected sex was high risk for HIV. Are you saying that my risk is much smaller because of the short duration of time (IE less than 20 seconds)? What would cause someone to be at high risk for HIV?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If you had anal sex you would be at high risk.
A few strokes of vaginal sex is not something that I would consider high risk at all.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delayed response doctor. I will leave a positive rating but I have one more question.Today I've had some mild pain in my testicles and have been peeing a lot more than usual. It isn't terribly painful, just achey and a little uncomfortable when I pee. Is this concerning for an STD like chlamydia or gohnnera?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could be a urine infection.
Chlamydia is more of a possibility.
Gonorrhea is UNLIKELY because it also causes a urethral discharge.
The most likely possibility is a simple urine infection or Chlamydia.
Please rate me before we proceed.
Regards