Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a swe

Customer Question

A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a swelling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
This is most likely a form of bursitis. There are a couple of bursa close to and below the kneecap, and if they get inflamed, they can swell and/or fill with fluid.
The usual first step would be the use of an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply ice to help ease swelling or moist heat to ease inflammation.
If it is persistent, there are other options that can be done by your doctor, such as prescription anti-inflammatory medicines or steroid injections. So, if the home interventions are not effective, it would be appropriate to see your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.