Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am 5,6" and weigh 225 at the age of 22 I want to lose weight.

Customer Question

I am 5,6" and weigh 225 at the age of 22 I want to lose weight. I've been trying to lose weight for a long time now. Wondering if adipex would be good to try for me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
HELLO!Your BMI IS 35 and you do need to lose the weight. Normal range BMI IS 18.5 to 25.Your height and weight do qualify for approved use of Adipex...Adipex is indicated is indicated as an appetite suppressant. It is phentermine and indicated of course ALONG WITH EXERCISE AND DIET MEASURES....It is indicated for being overweight to extent of BMI greater than 30...Late evening g should be avoided with this medication to avoid insomnia...Reasons to NOT TAKE this medicine would include history of heart disease or hyperthyroidism or glaucoma or history of addiction problems...caution advised if you have high food pressure...FYI also other meds such as Belviq are potentially used for weight loss too...( also side effect potentials and newer and expected to be more expensive)Along with medication discussed above which decrease appetite you need to change lifelong habits .. As I advise patients anything you do temporary will have temporary results( I don't mean medication here but hour diet nd exercise habits ) Exercise is GREAT EQUALIZER!! Work to start within your comfort zone. Consistent and regular effort is KEY to your success. This is a marathon not Sprint. Fine to start with daily walk 100 to 200 yards...build up gradu"6 each week. Add mix of exercises -- work out at gym...cycle...swim...treadmill...etc...work up to alternating muscle group focus every other day on alternating days ( most days) Take increases in gradual steps... Diet >>> Best to not skip meals 4 or 5 small meals a day increases metabolic rate ...aim for about 1200 calories per day... increase protein component ,slow fat content (2x calories per unit weight) slow carbs... South Beach diet is a good potential option. Tons of resources available on that...Other diet plans May be of help but may be costly...so that is up to you... Small helps...bit of caffeine each day in early hours of day...Vivarin 100 to 200 mg twice a day with breakfast and lunch -- increases slightly metabolic rate B complex vitamin supports energy metabolism Co Q10 100mg a day also good supplement as support metabolism ( that one also great anti-oxidant) I hope that this information is helpful for you.If you have further questions or discussion then I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards, ***** ***** MD
Updates on your progress welcome on this thread. Let me know if I may be of further help. Take Care!ANTHONY BRAY MD