Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am an 82 year old male who has had diabetes years.

Customer Question

I am an 82 year old male who has had diabetes for 22 years. I control it by working out 6 days a week also taking insulin. I have also had a bad back for forty years. As I get older I have more pain so I have been taking 3 advil at bedtime to relieve the pain at night will this harm my kidneys or liver if I take it once a day. I also take a low dose of lisinoprel and do not have high blood pressure.
Don Erickson
Burnsville, MN
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
taking 3 advil of 600mg total once a day can tax your kidneys somewhat, but if you are drinking lots of fluids and preventing dehydration, your kidneys most likely will be able to handle it
it can also upset your stomach and cause gastritis and worse stomach acid and in some patients can cause stomach ulcers over prolonged periods of time
best to take your advil on a full stomach.
you might need to get your stools checked for microscopic blood to check for bleeding from your stomach from the advil.
you should get blood testing to check your kidney function with BUN and creatinine testing to make sure your kidneys are ok.
advil usually will not harm the liver
when was the last time you saw your doctor and got blood testing and stool testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a physical with blood once a year, maybe I should go twice a year because of my age.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can go twice a year
talk with your doctor about that.
but I'm sure your kidneys are ok
make sure you drink plenty of water with your advil
and never take it on an empty stomach
best of luck to you
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
did you have any other questions?