Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im Cullen. I've been experiencing recent acute pain the

Customer Question

hi im Cullen. I've been experiencing recent acute pain the lower abdminals and stomach area after taking a hot bath a couple of times recently. Im not sure why this is happening. Occasionally I also get very bad gas. I am doing probiotic mix a couple of times a week which seems to help somewhat. I am also very active running, playing soccer, golf, and going to the gym when I have the time. What do you believe could be the cause ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you had any diarrhea or constipation?
Have you tried any medicine for gas?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
There are many different possible causes of lower abdominal pain. If the lower abdominal pain is of short duration, the most common cause would be a viral infection or a response to something in the diet. Other possible causes include various other infections or inflammatory conditions.
If the lower abdominal pain is of longer duration, then it would be less likely to be an infection, although there are some bacterial overgrowth syndromes that can be present. It also could be due to irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. IBS is very common, but there is no direct test to confirm the diagnosis, so the diagnosis is typically made by excluding other possible causes.
There are some simple home interventions that can be tried, including increasing the amount of fiber intake, either in the diet or with fiber supplements, or the use of medicines for gas, such as simethicone or activated charcoal.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.