Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Veins are randomly bruising and prominent only on legs

Customer Question

veins are randomly bruising and prominent only on legs starting a month ago. The veins started out as a few red circles 2 months ago and then turned into bruises. Ive always had spider veins for a long time but just now they are bruising. the legs kind
of hurt but not really. I feel fine and do exercise and don't feel sick and sometimes I stand up a lot. I stopped walking but do exercises. I checked the blood 6 months ago and everything was fine except the cholesterol was high but I lost 20 pounds.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It looks that you have some varicose veins and some easy bruising. I would characterize these as two separate issues...
The varicose veins tend to develop when the venous blood return from the feet up the legs and more resistance to flow back to heart....The deep veins of the legs have valves that prevent back flow every 10 centimeters or so...leaky deep vein valves tends to increase pressure on veins in the lower legs in particular...walking is not as bad for this as the muscles of the legs WALKING tend to pump blood up out of the legs...prolonged standing makes condition worse and promotes varicose veins...prolonged sitting with legs dependant can make this worse as well...so elevating legs up to ottoman or couch when you sit May help...compression stockings may help...
Also for varicose veins these superficial veins may be treated by surgery or injection of substance to make them scar down and close off...these are cosmetic procedures available as options
The easy bruising May benefit for you to take a couple of common nutrients that may help strengthen the connective tissue of capillaries >> so take vitamin C 500mg a day plus you may take Zinc 50mg a day...( These are good for skin and may help with easy bruising problem)
Other medical issues may cause easy bruising and you may discuss specific testing to check for conditions related to this ( low platelets...coagulation disorders)
I hope that this is helpful for you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD