Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

While I'm waiting to see an immunologist, what do you recommend

Customer Question

While I'm waiting to see an immunologist, what do you recommend I do for an IgA deficiency and a low IgM?
Thanks,
SG
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
There is nothing specifically you can do for IgA deficiency....if you have not seen an immunologist, why do you think you have this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a celiac disease as my ND recommended because I have occasional enemia (and I tend to get gassy after eating wheat), here're my test results: "When we do celiac disease testing, one thing we test for is a type of antibody called IgA. We test this level basically as a "control", because without adequate levels of this antibody, the test results can not be accurately interpreted. Your level of this antibody was very low, so I can't really tell about celiac disease. However, I did need to do more testing because of this IgA deficiency. I looked at two other types of antibodies, IgM and IgG. Your IgG was normal, but your IgM was low as well. Having low levels of these antibodies may put you at risk for infections, especially respiratory infections. At this time, your evaluation is not complete. I need to send you to an immunologist to review these tests with you and to see what other testing might be necessary and to see what recommendations the immunologist has for us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there, Dr. Thomas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to buy a membership or try a free trial, I just want my $25 worth today, thanks.
Once again, you need further testing to see if you even have a deficiency. In fact, deficiency is defined as an undetectable IgA level, not a low level.
Given that , and that you are not reporting frequent strep infections, you don't have it.
An immunologist will confirm this.
I see nothing special you have to do at this point.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
You are welcome
The answer is you do not have this deficiency.
Please click a positive rating.
Please also see my additional services offer.