Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

How long will hemroids last, starting to worry something else

Customer Question

How long will hemroids last, starting to worry something else could be wrong. very sore for weeks ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
the hemorrhoid could be infected or you might need stronger treatments for your hemorrhoid.
preperation H doesn't have any steroid in it
most doctors will prescribe you a steroid cream like proctosol or hydrocortisone cream 1% or 2.5% cream to help shrink down your hemorrhoid
also you have to soften your stool with stool softeners like Colace (docusate sodium) or eating prunes and drinking lots of water to help
avoid long periods of sitting will help too
and if you have to sit, sitting on an inflated donut pillow could help take pressure off of that area.
your doctor might even give you a course of antibiotics if the hemorrhoid is infected.
do you have a doctor you can see who can examine the area? and see if a course of steroid creams can help?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I have a different opinion. This can be more serious than just hemorrhoids since you have symptoms for weeks.This can be ulcerative colitis or inflammatory bowel disorder. Also anal fissure can cause persistent symptoms --this is a wound o the anal lining. Hence, you need a colonoscopy and further work up. I will suggest you to see a GI doc at the earliest. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****