Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I filled a prescription cr 60 mg. yesterday. i

Customer Question

i filled a prescription for morphine cr 60 mg. yesterday. i really lost the medication on the bus. What can i do? i have another hard script for morphine sulfate cr 50 mg. will they fill it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Have you discussed this yet with the doctor that prescribed the morphine?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
The Pharmacy is correct that they cannot replace lost medicines, as it would clearly be a violation of federal and state law. The Pharmacy also typically would not be willing to fill another hard script, at least not without the approval of the prescribing physician.
It is also important to note that taking your other hard prescription to a different Pharmacy is not a good option for two reasons. First, most states have implemented a state-wide database for controlled substances, so that each Pharmacy can see any filled prescriptions for controlled substances at other Pharmacies. Second, even if you live on one of the states without a database, there still would be an issue of what to do when this prescription is used up.
So, the next question is whether you have contacted your physician, which is why I requested whether this has already been done.
Most physicians would not be willing to write another prescription for opiates that are lost, but you cannot know until you discuss it with your physician. If your physician is unwilling to write another prescription, then step would also require discussion with your doctor, as there would need to be some discussion of what can be done to try to ease some of the pain for the period of time that would have been covered by this prescription, although the options would depend upon the nature of the condition that is causing the pain.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.