Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a question about broken ribs.

Customer Question

I have a question about broken ribs.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Please go ahead with your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I broke 7 ribs in a motorcycle accident on September 14, 2014. They are on the left side and at least three were displaced fractures. I believe they were ribs 4-11. There was some lung trauma and I spent four days in the hospital. I don't believe the lung was punctured but in December 2014 I had about 100 ml. of fluid removed from my left lung. My pain is very minor at this point and x-rays shown that cartilage is forming around the fractures. I want to start riding again but am concerned about taking a higher risk if I should fall again. I'm trying to quantify how much of an additional risk I'd be taking over a normal person who hasn't broken their ribs.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
These are good concerns.
The fluid from the lungs can be formed due to the inflammation in the lung lining.
The trauma can cause this.
The multiple rib fractures can take several months to heal.
Complete healing may take 6 to 12 months.
However, even after complete healing, the risk of fracture is there with another fall.
The risk reamains slightly increased in a normal individual with normal bone strength.
The risk can be about 10-20% more than the normal individual without prior broken bones.
However, this risk is even higher when complete healing is yet to take place.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****