Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Need some help! About three months ago or so I was taking a

Customer Question

need some help! About three months ago or so I was taking a shower and I feel a lump or bump inside my anus on the left side and it was under the skin, I went to the doctor and had a digital finger rectal exam and he said it was a hemmrhoid and it didn't hurt but had a feeling like something was there that need to come out and he said it was because of the hemmrhoid. It eventually got better, and a few days ago when I had a bowel movement it hurt really bad, it was excruciating pain the next day it hurt really bad again and there was some blood, the last couple of days when I went it didn't hurt that bad and there wasn't any blood but all day it hurts especially when I squeeze the sphincter muscle and I used proctosol and have been taking Tylenol and this time there is a lump or bump but at a different side it's like right inside my anus and it feels hard so my question is why did it not hurt the first time and this time it does and is this anal cancer?? I'm really worried and have bad health anxiety which I'm on Zoloft for
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
No I do not think that you have anal cancer. Your history sounds consistent with a THROMBOSED HEMORRHOID.... this is where a clot forms in a vein in the lower rectum to anus area and it causes the vein to enlarge. When that happens it is quite painful. The vein may rupture and cause bleeding. The level at which the HEMORRHOID occurs also has relationship to how painful it may be. More lower developed hemorrhoid would tend to be more painful than a higher developed internal hemorrhoid.
So I would advise that you consult a general surgeon. The clot within a THROMBOSED HEMORRHOID may be released by a quick office procedure. This will help it settle down and relieve your pain.
In general or may help you to use preparation H, also taking a daily stool softener such as COLACE or SURFAK 260mg a day or socks are 100 to 200mg/day or mineral oil 1 tablespoon a day ( these measures help prevent constipation and hard stool and help reduce pressure on the wall of the rectum...that would help prevent recurrence of hemorrhoids down the road)
Simple measures of Advil or Tylenol may help a little with pain...
Your doctor may be able to help with viscous Lidocaine to apply to anal area to help more with pain as well..
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do I do about this, it feels a little bigger then pea size and hurts, I have been using proctosol from what I have left from a while ago, I have been taking Advil and I also think I still have lidocaine cream from before but I haven't used that yet, please advise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stools are always usually soft so I'm not sure how I got this, I have changed my diet in the last few days to more fruits and vegetables, I know right before this started I had ate pasta I think three nights in a row which I know binds u so maybe I was pushing to hard, I'm nervous that this is cancer!!

Hello again--

Fine to use Lidocaine cream if you have some left---

Proctosol fine if you have that ...may give some sense of relief..

If terrible pain you may go to ER -- they can lance a THROMBOSED HEMORRHOID there as well ---

in general it is done at general surgeon's office. It is a routine office procedure...

Long term prevention of recurrence is what I was referring to above with the stool softener options...

I hope that this helps.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

I understand you feeling nervous about cancer but I really do not think that will be the problem here in your case. When you see general surgeon or ER they will check but your age anorectal cancer is very rare....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal that they feel hard, it's basically right inside my and, I can basically feel it with my finger tip almost, will this go away?
Yes, it is normal for it to feel hard..
Yes, it can be treated and will heal...
It is possible to have ongoing hemorrhoids as well but the type painful hard lump that you describe now is when a clot forms in the HEMORRHOID. It is getting past this stage that will help you to find relief..
I hope that this helps.Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I am asking is, is this something that will go away on its own and if I go to the doctor that procedure you were talking about, does it hurt and how is it done?
Hello again,
Yes usually with enough time the clot may resorb by the body's mechanism. It may scar down. It would most likely resolve in time either way...you may be looking at miserable week or 2 or longer to go without treatment. You may be left with a smaller scar tag in time than the clot swollen hemorrhoid that you have now...
The procedure that I describe would involve the doctor injecting the area with Lidocaine to numb area of hemorrhoid...they would lance the vein and extract the clot...this should allow the vein to flatten...they would apply pressure to stop bleeding...The vein would heal over...
Either way would not at this point guarantee that you might not have recurring hemorrhoid down the road. There are more extensive procedures to remove hemorrhoids. You could discuss such options with a general surgeon if you wished.
I am referring to immediate lance and removal of clot to give quick relief of the current problem...
I hope that this helps and makes sense. Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can this procedure be done in my regular doctors office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And does this procedure hurt? And do they put you under for this? What would I feel?
Hello again--
Some primary care doctors may do this procedure ( probably more do not than those that would)
So Most general surgeons do this procedure which is why I recommended that specialist...
The Lidocaine injections would hurt some but within 15 minutes you would be feeling better...the whole point would be to relieve your pain but yes the numbing injections do hurt some as well...
I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they put you to sleep for this? And another doctor on here is telling me to give it some more time with the creams, start excersing and keep eating a high fiber diet, and he also is a cancer doctor and told me that this isn't cancer
Hello again!
Well no they do not "put you to sleep" for this lance and remove the clot procedure..
In
It is not emergent and you may elect to not have such procedure done if you wish...
If it were me I would get it lanced as I have seen the pain people seem to be in with this problem...The benefit to having it lanced is to relieve the pain sooner...
I hope that this helps...
Best Regards--
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I going to cause any damage if I don't get it lanced? And what if this is cancer?
Hello again,
Extremely unlikely that is cancer ....at your age very uncommon...hemorrhoids on the other hand very common...so very rough estimate of your symptoms being cancer probably on the order of 1 in 5000 ...1 in 10,000...
I don't think you would expect damage or injury to wait things out further but I think better to have it addressed professionally...as you would think I am going to favor you having this seen and addressed by a doctor!
I hope this helps.Let me know if I may be of further help!
Take Care!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at 125mg of Zoloft but I think I need to go up in dose because I'm still so worried and freaked out about this being cancer!
Hello again-
Well you may have anxiety and health anxiety. You can discuss with your doctor certainly possibly increasing Zoloft or other measures possibly to help your anxiety. I think you would be best to get the THROMBOSED HEMORRHOID treated. It may be that you dread having the embarassing problem addressed. If you see a general surgeon then it is a common problem that they deal with.
Best Regards--
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm scared about is going to the doctor and then saying this is cancer!!

Hello again,

Best to have it checked...you can do that today (urgent care or ER) or tomorrow (doctor's office) then you have fears behind you...

it is not at all likely to be cancer...

Try to remain calm on that...

Anal cancer at your age is very uncommon...

Why don't you plan to have this hemorroid checked today or tomorrow and alleviate your fear!! You don't have to have it lanced if you choose ....it should be obvious on doctor's exam as to cause though....

I hope that this is helpful.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD