Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

Why is it so hard to get a diagnosis especially when you go

Customer Question

why is it so hard to get a diagnosis especially when you go in to see a professional and even more so they have done surgery on you to know your history the symptoms are basically textbook I'm just a mother of 4 53 year old woman I googled my symptoms and basically there are a lot of different answers but they all fall within the category of that professional field and I think my biggest question would be why is it so hard for a doctor to give you a diagnosis or when you see these symptoms and almost always see the phrase if you have the symptoms seek medical advice immediately and then when you go to the doctor they just blow it off and you leave there so frustrated you have waited 2 to 3 months to get in your in excruciating pain debilitating you tell them that pain management is not your lifelong go you have been there for years on all different kinds of pain medicine yet you're told not to take these poisons for over a few weeks they keep giving them to you tell you they can't find the diagnosis and send you home in tears pain frustration and then you lose all your faith and trust in the medical profession and that is not what you won't you won't help and I feel like they look at you like a drug addict I think you want more drugs even though you're standing there telling them youyou do not want them they make you feel bad for asking for help and then will turn around and give you more drugs but tell you be careful of the addiction and the damage they do to your body most confusing thing I've ever dealt with and painful someone please help I have actually had multiple spinal surgery so it's not like they don't see the proof that I am definitely having problems its real its not in my head I'm not drug seeking but one of the things that bothers me is if they can't find the immediate answer of what I think they thought it was when you asked him where else could it be to just say I don't know yet I can come home type in the symptoms and it gives you many options and they just won't taste any further please help I'm in severe pain thank you and have a blessed day
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will try and help with your query.It is very difficult reaching a specific diagnosis ,especially if the pain is persisting despite surgery.Since we have no thermometer to measure pain,it is an empirical symtom where the severity cannot be defined accurately.The level of pain is also affected by your state of mind,your tolerance levels,your response to non-narcotic analgesics and your other symptoms.Most analgesics(NSAIDS) damage the kidneys if taken for prolonged periods while there is a risk if addiction with most narcotic analgesics.There is a very fine line between managing pain effectively and overdoing it and causing physical damage to the patient .Most doctor would use lower dosages of analgesics and cause no harm to the patient in the long run,the patient may feel cheated at the inadequacy of the pain management.Add to this the tolerance which develops when using any analgesic for a period of time and you have a complex problem on your hands as a doctor.You have my sympathies if you are in pain despite medications, as I feel that most of my colleagues tend to play it safe and prescribe inadequate pain medication.But you must realise it is the lesser of the two evils,,we have sworn to first cause no harm.Please let me know the medication you are on currently and the details of your surgery,thanks.