Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am Judy Selinder, 67 years old with multiple health

Customer Question

Hello, I am Judy Selinder, 67 years old with multiple health problems but am concerned about a sudden symptom of my right ankle is extremely swollen on the outer side of the ankle. I noticed it yesterday upon awakening. I do have vascular insufficiency, with vein stripping some 40 years ago and have worn pressure gradient hose ever since. But, it has always been the left leg that was moat bothersome. In March, 2015, I was diagnosed with Polyarticular Tophaceous Gout affecting primarily both hands, wrists, shoulders, etc. I was also hospitalized the end of March and again two days after discharged admitted again for 4 days for IV antibiotic. The hospitalist told me to drop my Celebrex and lower my Lasix to one 40 mg tab once a day. I also started colchicine for gout for two weeks then switched to Uloric about 1 week ago. I saw the rheumatologist this week and he advised I drop t he dosage of the Uloric to twice a week. Tonight the next dose is due. I am in kidney failure, have various problems, too many to write here. I also have Paget's disease of the bones, hypertension, breast cancer surgery last Jan.2013 with radiation tx. Any ideas which of my many doctors would be the best to call and report the ankle ? I was also just diagnosed with MRSA from a sore on my left hand
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
You have one ankle swollen.
This can be due to the gout attack since you dropped the uloric dose.
However you also have blood circulation problem.
Hence, a blood clot in the leg vein can cause this as well.
Hence, my advice for you will be to contact yuor rheumatologist first and also get a doppler ultrasound if possible in the ER.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****