Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I was in a major car accident in 1998 where I had to undergo

Customer Question

I was in a major car accident in 1998 where I had to undergo C1-2 spinal fusion. In 1999 my GERD got worse, so I underwent tests by numerous Gastroenterologists and motility specialists over the years and they all told me that my vagus nerve was fine, not injured. More recently, after my Step-Father passed away suddenly, I became very sick with tighteness in my esophagus and throat and a strong sense of choking. I ended up having an endoscopy and several more motility tests that indicated that my esophagus isn't function normally, a abnormally slow peristaltic wave, weaker LES and my stomach is holding 40% of the food during digestion in a 4 hr period based on Stomach a Emptying Test result. My doctors 15 years later are now saying my vagus nerve maybe injured. How is that possible this far out in time since my C1-2 surgery for vagel nerve damage or is there other possible culprits?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
I will strongly suggest you that don't correlate these symptoms with esophageal spasm and you should get EKG and ETT to rule out underlying ischemia as choking sensation could be the manifestation of angina so please get EKG and ETT .
Regards ***** ***** luck .
Please leave positive feedback for me .
Thanks .