Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had stomach pains whilst on holiday in Indonesia. On 28th

Customer Question

I had stomach pains whilst on holiday in Indonesia.
On 28th May I saw a doctor in Siloam hospital in Jakarta. He carried out a series of tests,including blood,urine and stool plus a complete abdominal ultrasound.
The initial results were all within normal range except my ESR reading was high at 69 mm (the reference range is 0 - 15)
The symptoms have largely gone ( I'm probably back to 90%) and I've returned home to Cyprus.
Today I received the one outstanding result that was carried out on my stool sample.....the M2 - PK test.
The result is 24.3 U/mL
Normal is quoted as <4.0
I have only the test results with no comment about it's significance or recommendations about what I should do. However it's unlikely that I'll be back in Jakarta any time soon so I need to move forward
with the results that I have.
I have googled M2-OK and can see that it's a tumour marker test used to detect colon cancer.
A high reading is not necessarily an indication that cancer is present but it seems that I should be doing something to find out what it does mean.
What do you recommend that I do next and how quickly should I be doing it ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
M2 Pk test looks for pyruvate kinase M2 type of enzyme.
Increased amount in the stool suggests increased tumor metabolism .
So this can be used for colon cancer screening.
However, this is still in experimental stage and not widely recognized for colon cancer diagnosis.
The result can be falsely positive in recent intestinal infections as well.
in your case you likely had an infectino when the test was performed causing false elevation.
However, given that fact this came back positive, you can consider a colonoscopy.
Colonoscopy is the gold standard to rule out any colon cancer or polyps.
This is recommended at your age anyway.
So, you should discuss with your doctor to set up a colonoscopy as next step.
If that is normal, then no need for concern.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****