Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am an alcoholic in recovery. I have 16 days sober now, but

Customer Question

I am an alcoholic in recovery. I have 16 days sober now, but I still can't stop shaking. I've been an alcoholic for 5 years. I would start drinking when I woke up until passing out, then start all over. I saw a doctor who was very concerned about seizures, and was prescribed 25 mg librium tablets 4 times a day. The medicine has been such a lifesaver, literally. Before, the detox symptoms would scare me so badly that I would get more to drink just to make those symptoms go away. I am almost out now, and feel scared to be without. It just calms the shaking and anxiety. I am currently in a rehab setup organized by my family. I am staying for 60 days at my husbands aunt's lake house in Marble Falls, TX. She's a former Chief of Police with a no-nonsense type attitude while compassionate at the same time. Should I continue the librium if I'm still having the shakes? How long until they go away? I have also been taking a B complex supplement which was recommended to me as well as milk thistle. My blood work showed elevated levels in my liver, but by the grace of God, everything else was fine.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries
Should I continue the librium if I'm still having the shakes?
The one problem with taking librium is dependence on this medication therefore it is usually advised not to take it for more than a period of four weeks unless your treating doctor advises you to take it for a longer period of time. I am really happy that librium has been able to help you with your symptoms.
How long until they go away?
These symptoms usually take a few weeks to go away.
In your case it may take another week or two to go away.
I am very hopeful that you will improve in due course of time.
It is also great to know that your lab tests are generally good.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate it if you could rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way I am credited for helping you out here.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
Kind regards