Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My question is "What would cause constant cramping in feet,

Customer Question

My question is "What would cause constant cramping in feet, fingers and sometimes my abdomen? I have Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis and now High Blood Pressure. The Meds I am on are Duloxetine HCL DR 60mg Caps once daily for Fibro, Meloxicam 15mg Tab once daily for pain and now for Blood Pressure I'm on Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 MG CP once a day. I also take Vitamin D3 2,000mg. Since diagnosed with Arthritis and Fibro I have gained a lot of weight too like 40lbs, it seems impossible to lose it. Do you see what can cause this awful sensation of itching and cramping? Thank you Debbie R. Albany, N.Y.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
hydrochlorothiazide can cause severe low potassium levels and low potassium blood levels can cause constant cramping of muscles in your feet and fingers and abdomen.
you need blood testing to check your potassium levels
if you are not taking a potassium supplement, you could be having low potassium
you need to eat foods rich in potassium such as bananas and orange juice and potatoes to see if that helps.
you also need thyroid hormone levels checked. low thyroid hormone levels can make it hard to loose weight.
Duloxetine can cause weight gain. you might need to try an alternative agent for fibromyalgia such as Lyrica or Savella which might cause less weight gain for you
let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?