DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm taking Carafate 4 times day . Everyday I get hot flashes, I think there related

Customer Question

I'm taking Carafate 4 times day . Everyday I get hot flashes, I think there related to my gastritis. I was taking Nexium with it but it make sicker than a dog. I get up in the middle of the night with acid and there goes my sleep.a
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HI
It would be very unlikely for carafate to cause this symptoms.
Hot flashes MUST be evaluated, to rule out rare causes such as pheochromacytoma and carcinoid syndrome, as well as more common causes such as hyperthyrodism.
Zantac is a third type of drug choice, not like nexium.
You must be tested for h pylori, the bacteria that can cause gastritis, and if you have that, it needs the correct antibiotics.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.