Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Chronic lower back pain months. 21 years old

Customer Question

Chronic lower back pain for 8 months. 21 years old
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
What investigations have been done and what treatments have been prescribed? Which were beneficial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't have a spinal injury e.g. Trauma or a fall. It started around christmas time probably due to incorrect bending or twisting. When I'm home it's fine. It just hurts when I stand for long periods or sit down for a long while. I haven't done any screenings yet. As I said I can go a week or more without any signs of pain and it just occurs when I stand still for long. But once it occurs I have to lie down or sleep and when I wake up it goes away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I visited physiotherapists when the problem first started. They said it's muscle spasm most likely. I have no numbness in my feet and the pain radiates no where. It's mostly on either sides of my back. But I'm not sure if spasm can come and go this way and stay for months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels better slighty when I stretch. But not for long
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Do you take any medications to relieve the pain? Do they help?
What is your weight and height?
Do you do any exercise daily? Or any sports?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't take any medications. I'm allergic to NSAIDs. I only use paracetamol occasionally. It helps a little I guess. But the pain is not that bad to start with it's just not the same as before. I weigh 60 kgs and my height is 176cm. I do sports all the time. My back in not bothered by any sport I do. Usually jogging, lifting (light lifting) and soccer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain usually occurs when standing or sitting down on the chair or prolonged periods when I'm studying. I finished school 3 weeks ago and since then my back was fine until today when I started my summer program and stood for a while when I felt te pain coming back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any chance from the description I provided that I have vertebral damage? Like herniations or degenerative disc disease?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Back pain is very common and affects an estimated 80% of the population. There are various causes for this pain. .
Basically you need to consult a doctor and have a physical examination done to rule out any serious causes for the pain such as structural cause like lumbar disk disease. However from your descriptions this does not look like pain due to structural disease.
In your case based on the history this seems to be a pain which is associated with muscle spasm. These spasms may be due to and are accompanied by abnormal posture.
Postural pain occurs in a group of patients with nonspecific
chronic low back pain in whom no specific anatomic lesion
can be found despite doing all investigation. These individuals often
complain of a vague and diffuse back pain with prolonged sitting or standing that is relieved by rest.
What helps in such patients is exercises to strengthen the paraspinal and abdominal muscles. Ask your physiotherapist to teach you these exercises.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help doc. Will follow your advice
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
You are welcome. Please rate the answer.
Thanks.