Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Recently underwent surgery at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok

Customer Question

Recently underwent surgery at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok to repair tummy flap. It appeared to be healing well when it developed a necrosis and the doctor at Bumrungrad would not let me leave the hospital due to the danger to myself. He then proceeded
to take out all the black skin and when he started getting back to where there was blood he did a skin graft and sewed me back up. I have since healed up nicely. It is my position that medicare should have to pay for the complications of this surgery out of
the country or not
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Why was the original surgery done at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok?
I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.
Medicare typically does not cover medical care provided outside the country, including complications that arise following surgery done for other reasons.
I asked about the circumstances of seeking care outside the US to see if I could find any history of exceptions for the circumstances involved in your care. If you sought medical care in Bangkok for elective surgery, then I can find no exceptions that Medicare in which Medicare has covered any medical expense accrued in that hospital, even for complications.
If complications arise after you return to the US and you seek care within the US, then Medicare would cover the care, but not care that was provided at the hospital in Bangkok.
There are certain Medicare supplements that may cover care outside the US, but it would depend upon how that policy is written.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.