How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45546
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Md, I had an umbilical hernia repair with a mesh in 2013.

Customer Question

Dear Md, I had an umbilical hernia repair with a mesh in 2013. I have had no problems until now. I don't know if this is related to the hernia repair or if I am having gallbladder problems. I have intense pain in my upper abdomen under my breastbone at any time of the day or evening unexpectedly , and it is excruciating! It feels as if an"alien" is poking out my stomach! I have gas, a little heartburn, my stools are okay, not clay colored, but I never feel as if I've fully evacuated, The pain seems as if It"s rolling in places inside my intestines. I have no fever, but do have a UTI, and my upper abdomen is very bloated and tight! I am morbidly obese as my BMI is 48. My PCP is aware of all of this, and has scheduled an Right Upper Ultrasound. I have never experienced any upper tightness under my breastbone on my abdomen before, and it is very uncomfortable. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, obesity, hyperlipedemia, hypertension,and now type 2 diabetes, mild-
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
the only way to know if your gall bladder is inflamed is to get a gall bladder ultrasound and check for cholecystitis and gall stones.
you need blood work to check on your liver enzymes and bilirubin levels as well. it would be a good idea to check your amylase and lipase levels to check on your pancreas
I am glad your doctor has set up your gall bladder ultrasound.
you could have excessive stomach acid causing bloating and pain in your upper abdomen and in rare cases, this can lead to stomach ulcers. you need to change your diet to avoid fatty foods, oily foods, spicy foods, no alcohol or sodas and us stomach acid blockers like prilosec to see if that helps. you might even need test to check for H Pylori in your stomcach
if these two causes are not what is causing your upper abdominal symptoms, then you need an abdominal CT scan and follow up with your surgeon who did your hernia surgery to look for scar tissue in the abdomen and other possible causes.
let me know if you have questions.