Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I need to travel 500 km by driving tomorrow to see a specialist

Customer Question

I need to travel 500 km by driving tomorrow to see a specialist as MRI on both shoulders shows tendonopathy, fluid in both bursas, and degeneration in the joint. I am also experiencing problems with achilles tendons both legs. I now have a bad dose of cystitis. There is no doctor in our hopsital and it's a public holiday here. My usual GP have given me a spare Noroxin script for this reason as I regularly get cystitis. I can't get my hands on any alternative antibiotic but I note that there is a C/I for tendonitis. I don't know how to handle this, I need to treat the cystitis. I am also now severely allergic to cephalosporins and penecillins. What are my risks?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
As I understand your question, you are concerned about the risk of noroxin causing or worsening your tendon problems that you are experiencing.
I agree very much that tendon problems are associated with noroxin and there is a slightly increased risk of worsening tendon problems with noroxin, but we always have to weigh the risks against the benefits.
If you do get cystitis or have cystitis the risks associated with cystitis are far greater than the 'slight' risk of worsening tendinitis associated with noroxin.
So although I do agree with the risk of worsening tendon problems in your case but the risk is too small for you to worry too much.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards