Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Today I learned that the birth control pill can cause breast

Customer Question

Today I learned that the birth control pill can cause breast cancer. That made me so worried. I have PCOS and I was told to take Loestrin lo and I read that the hormones in that can increase breast cancer risk by 60 percent. Should I consider getting off
the pill?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
That is not quite right---
See reference on topic at ;
http://ww5.Komen.org/BreastCancer/CurrentorRecentUseofBirthControlPills.htm
If you have any problems reaching reference then let me know and I will double check address...
There may be a 20 to 30 percent increase in breast cancer in women while taking birth control pills vs those whom never took these at all WHILE ACTIVELY TAKING THESE PILLS --- the risk overall is low as breast cancer risk in younger women is low
..
After pills with estrogen are taken and later stopped the risk factor reduces steadily and by 10 years women whom took estrogen birth control vs not becomes the same again...
Low dose estrogen lowers risk..
Progesterone only birth control may lower risk
Alternate forms of birth control such as IUD lowers risk...
Other factors for risk of breast cancer should be taken into consideration when considering birth control....
Also things such as your family history and age should be important factors to consider...so age 25 to 35 age group breast cancer is rare and the more rare this is the less 20 to 30 percent means in terms of actual risk...
See the article above as it discusses a range of risk factors...
The lower dose estrogen are lower risk be the higher dose estrogen pills...
I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you. Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They found a small cysts in my left breast that is5.4 mm but they said it is hormonal cyst, said only has to watch it. Isn't this the risk factor that we are talking about?
No....cysts are common and benign.
A solid tumor or growth is generally what we are looking for with physical exam or mammogram or ultrasound or sometimes MRI....
Also I refer to risk factors such as 1st degree relative with breast cancer. That could prompt genetic testing for genes associated with high risk of breast cancer
Cysts are common and benign finding. These are not what we mean in looking at risk factors.
I hope that this helps.
Let me know if you have further questions. I 'll be happy to get back with you !!
Best Regards !!
Anthony Bray MD