Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My 77 year old husband has lots of congestion that comes up

Customer Question

My 77 year old husband has lots of congestion that comes up while he's lying in bed at night...Its bubbling up and coming out of his mouth and sometimes his nose. Secretion from his nose is heavy and looks like puss...the secretion from his mouth is bubby and looks like beaten egg whites.. lot of it too. He has dementia and does not understand to spit it out and get rid of it. He has a large (larger than a grapefruit) mass in his left lung that has been determined (by biopsy) to be benign. A surgeon recently concluded (with concensus from his surgery group) that due to age, dementia, ect. it was best to watch it and come back in 6 months for a look to see if it was growing ect. We concurred at that time as it was deemed to be a difficult procedure. However, now we're wondering if that mass is causing all this congestion. We wondered if he should be seen by a pulmunologist. What are your thoughts
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
I absolutely agree he needs a pulmonologist.
This could be related to the mass but it could also be his heart.
He needs a heart check. Specifically an echocardiogram.
I recommend his primary doctor check his heart. Heart failure can present like this too