Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My husband, (Leslie Dalton, Jr., Ph.D.) age 83 but still doing

Customer Question

My husband, (Leslie Dalton, Jr., Ph.D.) age 83 but still doing active research in tinnatis, has severe sleep problems due to nightly nightmares. He also suffers from asthma severe enough that his parents were told he would never survive his teens. The sleep problems result in depression which, in turn, interferes with his research. I'm wondering if oxygen at night would relieve the breathing stress and, in turn, ease the nightmares and, maybe help the depression! This may be a shot in the dark but I'm ready to throw a book at him when he's always so "down at the mouth"!. Thank you. ***** (*****@******.***)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello Margaret B. Dalton ,I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.Less quality sleep does cause varied problems {including psychological} for sure. In his case I am not sure if he was investigated to see for the cause of breathlessness. Asthma is treatable.The direction in which you are thinking is right and I agree with you.Next step - A physical evaluation {Internist is preferred} along with few investigations like blood tests/ x ray chest followed by CT scan of thorax {with contrast} would give us more answers. This would give us a diagnosis and help in planning a treatment. Once he gets quality sleep - I am sure he will get rid of nightmares and other psychological issues.As of now - He needs to have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ raise the head part of his bed {so that he can breath easily}.Wish him well.Best